Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday's Quick News Tips

A Great Good Morning to Everybody,

I am in Columbus, Ohio today presenting a program for the Professional Photographers of Central Ohio. I'll be seeing a lot of friends today as this is the part of the country where I spent my "formative" years as an aspiring photographer - so many years ago. As a little side bar, LaDawn and I spent Sunday with our good friends Kent and Sarah Smith. They are truly two of the best photographers in the country. Kent and I have "grown up" in this profession together, knowing each other for more than 25 years. Anyway, check out their studio websites. They have two - one for portraits and the other for seniors. Their web sites and photography are inspirational - give them a look right here.

How About Some Quick News

Layers Tennis - Say What?:
You heard it right here. Here is an excerpt from Coudal.com about what is going on...

"Coudal.com that is announcing the return of the very popular and inspiring Photoshop Tennis. We'll be playing matches using lots of different applications, from Adobe Photoshop to Adobe Flash, but the basic idea is the same no matter what tools are in use. Two artists (or two small teams of artists) will swap a file back and forth in real-time, adding to and embellishing the work. Each artist gets fifteen minutes to complete a "volley" and then we post that to the site. A third participant, a writer, provides play-by-play commentary on the action, as it happens. The matches last for ten volleys and when it's complete, everyone visiting the site votes for a winner." You can get the whole story right here.

Sounds kind of interesting - REALITY INTERNET. Sounds like something for Photoshop World to me.

What Flame Brushes - The Devil Made Me Do It:
This very "hot" news item has been on the "back burner" - OK, enough already - Sorry. I found this cool tutorial over at PhotoshopSupport.com. It's called "Flame Brushes". You can download the brushes at no charge and get the tutorial on how to use them right here. The results are very interesting - kind of fun to play with on a rainy day. I know some of you think Ziser is nuts offering these kind of links, but hey, "No Rest for the Wicked" - sorry, just had to get one more in. You better bookmark this one - 8 months from now when it hits you - where did I hear about "Flame Brushes" - you know you got it right here.

Concert Photography Tips:
I just got a nice email from Scott Kelby complimenting me on the Photoshop World "After Party" shots - thanks Scott. The NAPP house band, Big Electric Cat performed at the party and I ran around, like any good (wedding) photographer would, capturing all the band action and dancing. You can actually find the post and the those images right here. I'm not ready to make the career change to concert photographer just yet, but for those of you looking to do a better job at this kind of photography, there is a great article on it over at the RRD PhotoBlog. Ryan Dlugosz, who runs this well done site has done a great job listing and documenting with several images on just how to photograph concert artists/bands with their unique and special lighting effects. Check out the article right here.

A Cup on Inspiration for Monday - Absolutely Beautiful Landscape Photography:
When we got back from our 2 weeks of travels, I needed to hit the computer to see what was happening for next week. As I was doing that I checked out a few of my "bookmarks" I had carried over from my old computer - I just set up a new computer right before we left 2 weeks ago (what a hassle-whew!) and wanted to see if I had missed anything. Anyway, the good news, I had bookmarked this site a while back, but went back to review it again. It all came back to me - Joseph Holmes Photography, Natural Light Photography - what absolutely astonishing work. Just take a few minutes to review his site and his images. Here is the link. You won't be disappointed.

That's it for today, I'm off to my program. Don't forget - tomorrow is "Technique Tuesday". See you then, have a good one. --David

No comments:

Post a Comment