Thursday, November 15, 2007

The BIGGEST Family Portrait of All Time

28 family members photographed over an 3 month period - that's a BIG portrait project. I got a call from my buddy, Kent Smith of Kent Smith Photography the other day and he mentioned to me that he was in the process of delivering his largest family portrait ever - 8 feet long by 20 inches high. The image was a collage of 5 separate family portrait sessions taken over an 3 month period of time.


It seems the family members lived all over the US, so as they made it into town they visited Kent's studio for their portraits. Each family was photographed on the same background so all Kent had to do - yea, this sounds easy - was combine them in Photoshop. Oh, the family in the lavender shirts were originally red shirts - the lavender looks much better according to Kent. The rest is history - the client loved the portrait. Way to go Kent. I'm stealing your idea this weekend to do the same thing for a family portrait I'm doing, but I only have two groups to photograph - that should be a "piece of cake" by comparison. You can check out Kent's studio web site right here. He and his wife, Sarah, have an amazingly creative and successful portrait studio in Pickerington, Ohio.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great tip, thanks David! I tried it out over Christmas time with my wife's family (over 35 immediate family) and it worked well. I posted about it, and basics on how I stitched it together, on my site at Professional Snapshots.

    ReplyDelete