Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Budding Photographer

After high school, I moved on towards college planning to get a chemistry degree. Because of the long lines for chemistry and due to a friend's coercion, I changed majors at the last minute and joined the Physics department. Yep, I have a degree in Physics, Industrial Engineering, and a minor in Math and Computer Science. If you've not figured it out already - I was a really "geeky" kid back in those early days.
All through college, I worked as a photographer. That job paid the rent, bought the books, and in general got me through school. Here is an image I made during a violin recital. The image was made on Kodak Tri-X ISO 400 film and "push processed" to about 800 ISO. I picked up quite a bit of contrast, but I still love the image to this day.

The second image from that I shoot is posted today as the "Image of the Day" above. I added a little noise, via Photoshop, for added effect. These images were made around 1968 - I was 20 years old at the time.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is a great encouragement to me! I just finished college with a degree in Math and Computer Science and a minor in Economics and I'm entering the world of pro photography. Thanks for all you do and this great photography resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David these are so great! I used to use a Yashica and started in the darkroom as a teen as well. So funny that you have to remind/tell people about ASA, burn and dodge. Good to know some still remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,
    What's this "I was a really geeky kid"? .. you still are.
    Scooter

    ReplyDelete