Friday, December 05, 2008

"Gallery Opening"

"Gallery Opening"
©David A. Ziser

This image was made last night of our friend, Sarah Smith's gallery opening at Ida Victoria Galleries in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico. Sarah asked me capture a quick photograph of her among her work. The main challenge was to obtain a direction of light falling on her that would then allow me to separate her adequately from the background of her pieces of art. I just used one of the techniques I've talked so often about at DigitalProTalk. I simply turned my on-camera flash to the right, asked her husband Kent to stand close by - he was wearing a white shirt which would give me the reflected light return I needed - and fired away. I love the shot - the lighting was exactly what I was looking for - highlights next to shadows giving me a great portrait of Sarah. The colors and composition work well together to show the artist among her work. Camera specs; Canon 5D Mark II fitted with 24-105mm IS lens at 35mm, F 5.6 @ 1/200 second, ISO 1600.
Enjoy! -David

3 comments:

  1. I love the colours in that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see pictures of Kent and Sarah, of whom you speak quite often. I've been a methodical reader during the past several months, so I am well acquainted with your off-camera flash routine, but would I be wrong in assuming you never use a flash bracket for the occasions when you fill from your hot shoe? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice and well formated blog....
    good collection..
    awesome work ....

    please visit my blog and leave ur valuable comments
    MY BLOG:

    techmk22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete