Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Autumn Beauty"

0014a-DPT Wed Post-0286-DZ_IMG_8702 "Autumn Beauty" 
©David A. Ziser

I’ll give you a good walk through of how this shot was set up along with all the other family shots in today’s post below. Here is the rest of the story. I set the camera to a low ISO 100. That’s always my outdoor exposure strategy in a bright light situation. Next I set the exposure at the fastest possible sync speed of 1/200 second.  Next I adjusted the aperture to F6.3 to give me the density I wanted on the trees.  This larger aperture also throws the background well out of focus.  Marc illuminated the bride with his light coming in from camera right creating the very flattering lighting on her. You can see his position in the post below. I think we captured a beautiful image of the bride, in less than desirable conditions. Camera specs; Canon 5D Mark II fitted with 70-300mm IS DO lens at 300mm, F6.3 @ 1/200 second, ISO 100.  Enjoy!  -David

4 comments:

  1. David,

    I have to admit this is a nice shot! This is a very resourceful thing you got going on here! Very nice touch:) I love how you managed to pull together a formal shot outside, with really not much to work with. Very practical information.

    I can shoot really well under any conditions w/ my Q Flash but in blown out sunlight is another game sucks I wish I had huge diffusers with a crew of two really tall people:)

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: I understand that when using a flash, shutter speed helps let in ambient light. Wouldn't 1/200 second loose the ambient light? Maybe I am thinking this wrong. Are you still getting ambient light because it is so bright the flash can't over power it?

    Also, I wanted to say thank you for coming to Memphis yesterday evening. I really enjoyed the Seminar and cannot wait to use the techniques you described. Also, your enthusiasm for what you do is lighting that fire back up inside me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW 1/200th of a second very nice!
    TO bad you cant use the Q flash at 1/1500th of a second

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant.

    Also, not to be dismissed, is that you didn't simply shrug your shoulders, say, "they're not giving me anything to work with here" - and resign yourself to maybe a couple of close crops.

    Which goes to show, just taking two moments' time to think a little bit longer can yield exponentially better results.

    ReplyDelete