Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Evening Glow"

Evening Glow

"In The Evening Glow"
©David A. Ziser

Here is another portrait I made at the beach in Mexico last week.  Chasing the last rays of the sun is always a challenge and always fun.  You’ve got to get the shot as the sun is setting and the exposure is constantly changing.  I think it’s the “thrill of the chase’ in getting the shot that I love. For this image I positioned my subject in front of the rock formations you see in the background.  I thought they did a good job of leading the viewer’s eyes to our lovely subject.  Light is coming in from camera-right from my off-camera flash. I balanced the exposure specifically to just reveal enough of the setting sun’s color to add a sense of the “dramatic” to the portrait.  I also needed to add a little fill light from my on-camera flash – 580 EXII - to soften the shadows just a bit.  The finished result turns out to be quite a nice dramatic portrait of this beautiful lady.  Camera specs; Canon 7D fitted with Canon 18-200mm IS lens at 18mm, F5.6 @ 1/20 second, manually set and handheld,  ISO 400. Enjoy!  -David

8 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog by way of kelbytraining.com, I must say that you are unbelievably talented and that I want to be you "When I Grow Up". I just subscribed to your blog and I will follow it diligently! I hope to be blessed with the opportunity someday to take one of your photography seminars/workshop!! You are incredibly detail oriented and I certainly need that! :)

    God Bless! Sincerely, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shot - is the off camera flash from the camera's left or right? - says left in the text, but judging from shadows, looks like from the camera right to me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shot!
    Would that be the 7D's pop-up flash or something mounted in the hotshoe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light is coming in from camera-left from my off-camera flash.

    Is that left, or right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops! That what happens after 17 hours in airports and planes right before you make a blog post - all corrected.
    Thx, David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful capture! Love to know what your flashes were wet to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning colors and the halo effect around the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you do with the flash that's camera right? Is it gridded/snooted or just aimed up so that you get the gradient from her head? Or was it done in post?

    Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete