Friday, April 23, 2010

"A Study In White"

A Study In White - 0043

"A Study In White"
©David A. Ziser

I remember walking into the bride's parents home and being pleasantly surprised by all the lighter tones of the decor. It looked like a perfect place to take a beautiful "high key" portrait of the bride.  The flowers weren't available so I had her simply clasp her hands together for the shot.  Lighting was all natural pouring in through the windows and front door.  I positioned the bride on the empty space of the wall between the wall decor on the right and the wall shelving on the left.  I then recomposed the shot so that my subject's face would fall near the second "nodal point" - or top left part of the viewfinder. I turned her head slightly towards the light coming through the front door so that I could look for my loop lighting pattern on her face. Notice too how I have her body turned away from the light source so that the detail in the folds of her gown would be preserved. I thought it all came together very simply making a very beautiful portrait of our bride.  Camera Specs: Hasselblad fitted with Distagon 50mm lens, F5.6 @ 1/60 second, Kodak Vericolor 800 film. Illumination from open door camera right. Enjoy!  -David

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's nice! I've been enjoying your book, and I keep seeing references to your medium format days. Good to see you still use it now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you show how thinking of aesthetics really pulls out an excellent photo from what could've been something so generic. I think of all the typical 'house shots' of brides I've seen over the years, the bride standing wherever in a living room, the photographer having given no regard to composition, angles, lines, background. Just snapshots, really. And thanks for the new book - got it at B&N and it's a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the Man.. white on white cab be very challenging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very subtle key position of your subject, something you would see in a magazine add. Very soft details. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very very nice shot! I love it.

    ReplyDelete