Tuesday, June 01, 2010

"Looking Down Bridal Alley"

Bridal Alley-IMG_9115

"Looking Down Bridal Alley"
©David A. Ziser

That's what I think about every time I see a row of columns at a church.  Hey, it's a gimme’ you can always capture a magnificent image every time you place a bride in front of pillars. This is a simple straight forward full length bridal portrait that should be made on every wedding, assuming you have the pillars, of course.  My composition is straight forward too - I just framed up the bride with the pillars and arches favoring her positioning in the right side of the frame - pretty simple. My chosen focal length was 50mm or just slightly telephoto on my Canon 7D.  That made the opening between the pillars appear just a bit larger with respect to the bride.  A longer focal length and the opening would have appeared larger still.  I thought the 50mm setting worked just fine.  Lighting is from camera left - Quantum T5d through my Zumbrella 10 feet away at about 1/4 power. The only minor challenge was the fact that the lighting down "bridal alley" was quite a bit darker than the rest of the church.  A quick Lightroom "fill light" adjustment and a quick "luminosity" increase in the yellow channel easily took care of the lighting issue and evened out the tonalities of the photograph.  Camera specs: Canon 7D filled with 18-200mm IS lens at 50mm, F7.1 @ 1/30 second, ISO 1600. Enjoy!  David

1 comment: