Thursday, June 10, 2010

"The Three Amigos"

The Three Amigos-0055_Lukens P10-Edit

"The Three Amigos"
©David A. Ziser

Here is an image I made during a portrait session we did yesterday morning.  I'd like to say we had the perfect day for the shoot, but that was only partially true - we were dodging a few raindrops during the session.  The rain did let up just enough for us to get some great shots of the family though. I love the overcast cloudy weather for portrait shoots.  The colors just seem more saturated and rich in the final image. Also, when shooting on an overcast day, it is super easy to get great light on the subjects with an off-camera flash.  The overcast day also let's us shoot at a slower shutter speed and wider aperture and that really enhances and softens the background.  Anyway, that was how the day presented itself to us for our portrait shoot yesterday.  This image is one of my favorites from the shoot.  I just asked them to strike an easy pose with their arms folded. We've got great expressions on all the faces, the lighting looks terrific and defines and separates all the three subjects nicely from the background, and the background recedes softly into the distance. Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 80mm, F 4.0 @ 1/125 second, ISO 400.

Enjoy!  David

5 comments:

  1. Could you specify your off camera flash setting please.

    Maks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off Camera flash Quantum.
    I follow your glog every day, I can your main camera is the Canon 7D and you are shooting with high ISO, even inside the shurch in your last video on Kelby Training. I'm using the same camera, but I'm not too happy with the noise. I found my 40D doing a better job. Are you encounter the same issue with your 7D?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, just found you BLOG, awesome. Already bookmarked. I have a question. I noticed you have a signature at bottom of your photos. Do you do this on the prints you sale to your clients? I've put watermark on mine for web gallery purposes, but never put a signature on the print that I give to my clients. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is your second portrait where the camera-side of the nose wasn't in shadow :) Very cute portrait; I would love it for my children (were they still that age). Brian F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure is a Ziserish portrait. Still surprises me that you use the 7D for this stuff when you have the Mark II available. In a wedding album the 5D series is sort of overkill but for this portrait I would be thinking 30x40 on canvas. Then again, I remember the Pakistani bride you shot with the 20D as a 30x40 print and it was superb. So I answered my own question. At least you know I'm still reading.
    Love to LaDawn and Sharon.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete