Monday, November 01, 2010

Quick Hit Monday: Joe’s New Book; Webcast Still On the Air; What A Deal On Ink-Jet Printers; Retouching, Shortcuts, Postcards, and More

Good Morning Everybody,

LR Grid It was a great Bat Mitzvah celebration over the weekend. We began at 7:30a.m. and worked till 11:30p.m. that evening. Thankfully we had a break in the middle of the day to catch our breath. I downloaded the cards when we returned, renamed them importing them into Lightroom and hit the sack late.

Four hours later the alarm went off - we had a 9:15 a.m. flight to L.A. and I still needed to pack. I wanted to bring the images with me on the trip so I could work on the order and share a few more with my DPT readers this week. They were still imputing into Lightroom at 6:15a.m.

Finally I got the job done, packed up the 650 gig Toshiba pocket drive and we headed to the airport. We were fortunate to get kicked up to the BIG seats for our four hour flight and I was able to catch a few zzzzzzzzzzz's on the trip out.

Like I said - busy weekend, and now a busy week as we wrap up our Captured By The Light 2010 tour. We are looking to visit with over 700 excited photographers this week so I hope you can make it to one of this week's programs - it will be a kick! That said, let's get right to this week's Quick Hit Monday. Here we go...

Rocket Speed Digital Design Being Extended

Digital Design Webcast  Horo Logo2 Last week I posted my Rocket Speed Digital Design webcast [link] and mentioned that I would keep it up till Sunday midnight and still honor the special $99 bundle pricing on LumaPix. Because we only have 3 CBTL tour cities left, I thought I would keep it up till the end of this week.

That should give everyone ample time to catch the webcast if you missed it and take advantage of these NOT-TO-BE-MISSED specials. If you have any questions about the specials, please give the studio a call at 859.341.5900.

Joe McNally's New Book, The Life Years, Just Released!

Joe's book3 I caught this over at Joe's Blog [link] over the weekend. Joe told me he had a new book coming out near the end of the year but didn't give away any of the details. His new book looks like a knock out hit.

Yes, I'm old enough to be a Life Magazine fan and was pretty disappointed when it folded. This book reprises Joe's years at Life when he was the named the first staff photographer for the magazine. He coincidently was also the last staff photographer for Life. That would give him the distinction of being the only staff photographer for the magazine.

Not only do the images look exciting, but what captured my attention was the fact that this is a "nuts and bolts" read, complete with F-stops and shutter speeds - right up my alley. Here is the link to his post right here. I can't wait to pick up my copy! I am wondering how Joe retrieved the EXIF data from the film though ;~)

How About One Gigantic Deal On Canon Inkjet Printers!!!

iPF8300 Folks, I have to admit, I thought I would NEVER see the price of Canon's iPF 8300 wide carriage inkjet printers hit a rock bottom price of only $2299 after rebate at LexJet. I mean,  this is a steal of a deal if you want this printer. You ain’t going to find it at a better printer price anywhere in the world!!!

Yes, they are offering the iPF6300 at a great deal too at $1899 after rebate, but for the $400 difference, I'd pick up the iPF8300. Oh, and did I say, that includes a complete set of 330 ml ink cartridges too!

We have been using the iPF8100, the model prior to this model and we have been luvin' it. It's fast, is stingy with ink, and gives gorgeous results on all types of mediums. Deals like this are unheard of - check it out right here if you are even remotely interested. You'll have to call one of the LexJet friendly representatives to get all the details.

And Now For A Little Fun…

Rapid Fire Beauty Retouching

AJ Wood Friend of this blog, A.J.Wood has a nifty little tutorial posted at his blog right here. It's a 3 minute tutorial showing his rapid retouching techniques in Lightroom and Photoshop.

A.J. is a certified adobe Expert. His blog has a lot of good content which is fun to check out. Once again, here is the link.

Jeff Revel's Keyboarding Shortcuts For Lightroom

PhotoWalkPro I've always enjoyed visiting Jeff's site, PhotoWalkPro.com [link]. It's enjoyable to read, informative, and an easy read. Recently, he did a post on workflow, you know the part of the profession we all enjoy the most.

Like all of us, Jeff is always looking for the most efficient way to get the job completed. His post gives some good ideas on how to do just that in his post right here. If you want to get your Lightroom and Photoshop chores done more quickly, it's worth the read.

Oh, while you are at Jeff's place check out his other tutorials too - always informative and easy to follow.

Now Every Picture On Your IPhone, iPad, etc. Is A Postcard

OK, I caught this post at the Imaging Insider [link] and think it is one clever app. Here is the deal: with this app from Simply Postcards [link] you can send any photo stored on your iPhone or iPad as a postcard to anyone you want - friends, family, potential clients, vendor buddies, current clients, whomever for only $1-$2. That's your photo printed as a postcard, stamped and mailed!

Simply Postcards Many of you may be wondering, "Who cares, I'll just email the image." Sure, that seems like the easy way, but getting a hard copy is just so much more retro cool. All kidding aside, I see it as a perfect way to impress your clients or even your potential clients.

I've mentioned here what a fan I am of the iPad and the many ways we use it for marketing in my business. This app let's us take it to the next level. Here's how:  we routinely bring the iPad along to an event, upload about 50-60 images to the iPad and then present a viewing sampling of the images during dinner for the bride and groom, families, and guests. Everybody loves it.

OK, how about now we select our favorite image of the event and send it as a post card to the bride and groom. Sure, they are on their honeymoon, but don't you think it would be cool for them to find a postcard from their wedding day in their mail box when they return. I think it is one more way to sizzle that client experience. And, folks that's what it takes to keep them coming back.

Head over to their site right here. Simple Postcards has some great ideas listed. Oh, did I forget to mention that it's a FREE app too - yep, FREE. Jump on it! I’ve installed it and can’t wait to give it a try.

________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today. My throat has been a bit "froggy" these last couple of days with all the speaking presentations, Master Class, and Bat Mitzvahs. Now with only three more programs to go I hoping my voice holds out. Who knows, LaDawn may have to do the last one in Sacramento on Thursday ;~)

Oh, just a quick note to those making Facebook friends requests. I was all caught up a few weeks ago, but now I'm way behind by about 750 or so. I'll try to get caught up in the next few weeks. The bigger problem is that I'm approaching the Facebook limit of 5000 friends so I may be foxing to plan B and setting up a fan page. Hey, I'm still trying, ( in my spare time) to figure all this social media thing out too - I'll keep you posted.

Don't forget to check back tomorrow for a brand new Technique Tuesday: Posing Mistakes – Easy Fixes, Making Your Clients Look Good. Hope to see you then.

Adios, David

No comments:

Post a Comment