Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"The Love Of The Opera"

Opera Lover

"The Love Of The Opera"
©David A. Ziser

The image was created as a part of a series of portrait studies I did for a special magazine feature entitled "Our Most Inspiring Volunteers" in the Arts in Cincinnati, Ohio.   My goal was to photograph each inspiring volunteer in the surrounds of the arts which they loved.

The gentleman pictured above had a love of the Opera so we headed over to the offices of the Cincinnati Opera for his portrait.  The lighting was the main challenge.  I thought window light would be the way to go since there was a window nearby but I just couldn’t get the effect I wanted. 

I resorted to my trusty shoot through Zumbrella for my male portrait light positioned camera left at 1/8 power.  The challenge was to keep the light source from reflecting off the poster behind the subject, but we eventually made it work.

I love the color and tone co-ordination in this image and the equal but opposite lighting pattern on the subject's face when compared to the artwork behind him, which is from the opera, Aida. 

Camera specs:  Canon 5D fitted with  Canon 24-105 F4 IS lens at 32mm, F6.3 @ 1/40 second, ISO 800. Enjoy!  -David

No comments:

Post a Comment