Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Come Dance With Me"

Come Dance With Me

"Come Dance With Me"
©David A. Ziser

These are the kind of reception images I love to capture for the client.  They’re fun, colorful (see the bride’s shoes), and spontaneous.  The bride and groom had just started their bridal dance, slowly at first and then they cut loose. 

The bride’s gown looked great as the groom twirled her around the dance floor.  I’m thinking low, wide angle shot hoping I could get the dress to swirl past the lens.  I was literally crouched on the floor and only about two feet away from the gown to capture this image.  I love it!  It was exactly what I wanted.

The only strobe firing was my Quantum from it’s off camera position camera left and slightly behind the couple.  Had the on-camera flash fired, I would have ”smoked“ the dress.

Even the F5.6 aperture along with the 10mm focal length at 2.5 to 3 feet manages plenty of depth of field – 11.7 feet to be exact which easily kept the couple in focus from head to toe. You have to move quickly at a wedding but it’s always worth the effort.

Camera specs: Canon 40D fitted with 1-22mm lens, F 5.6 @ 1/40 second, ISO 800.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. David, Quick question about your Quantum/Speedlight, etc around the parimeter of the floor, do you fire those off using TTL metering, or do you you set a power on the flash and make a calculated power change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I just want to say that I shot my very first wedding this weekend, after having crammed with your book. I have such a huge respect for guys like you who can make such great wedding images. I did learn that it's not for me, though. Very discouraged with the images, even after following your formulas and methods. But "Captured..." was such a great read and I'm sure I can apply the info I took from it elsewhere in my photography.

    ReplyDelete