Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Technique Tuesday: Tunnel Vision – Photographically Speaking, Its A Good Thing

Good Afternoon Everybody,

Wow! 17 straight days in the 90's around here, I can't complain though with Dallas hitting 100 degrees 30 days in a row - whew!  Things are hot but otherwise pretty calm around here. 

We're putting the finishing touches on my Summer Success Collection [link] which is about the best collection of valuable FREE items along with my Captured By The Light 5 DVD set.  I think its the best educational value of 2011.  You won't believe it until you see it.  You can get a preview right here.  I'll give you all the info tomorrow.

Summer Success Collection Ad2

Last week, I told you about this Thursday's upcoming sales/marketing webcast with Charles Lewis.  I pulled the trigger and let the world know about it today and I hear it's already booked up. I hope you got registered early. I'll look into re-broadcast possibilities.

Now Some Giant News!!!

Hit this link right here and prepare to be amazed as you check out the Photographic Super Bowl event of a lifetime!  You won't believe it until you see it – once again, here is the link. That's all I’m saying for now - I'm rolling out more details this week.

On that high note, it's time to get on with Technique Tuesday.  Here we go...

Tunnel Vision – Photographically Speaking, Its A Good Thing

OK, the title is a bit misleading but when you see the video you'll see what I'm talking about.  I've seen a lot of photographers trying to take good outdoor family portraits.  They go for the best expressions, place a nice directional light on the subjects, and have the people positioned in a decent location.

In today's tutorial I want to show you how you can improve on that last point.  Like they say, location is everything.  And, that's especially true when it comes to portraits.  Understanding how to find the best location for portraits takes a little practice and a trained eye.  It's not just about a pretty background behind the subject, but it's also how that background contributes to the overall composition of the image.

In this tutorial I’ll walk you through the finer points of background selection for family portraits, or any portraits for that matter.  Why not hit the PLAY button and see what I'm talking about.  I think you'll enjoy the lesson today.

_______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  Because of today's late post, look for tomorrow's post to pop sometimes in the afternoon. 

OH, I almost forgot, I just set up my Scott Kelby Photo Walk scheduled for Saturday, October 1, 2011 kicking off at 10:00 a.m. [link]  I don't have all the details yet, but still wanted to give you a heads up so you can get registered.  It will be fun, I promise. 

Have a great rest of the day, stay cool, and keep smiling ;~)

-David

3 comments:

  1. Cool video :)

    Foilage is what happens when others mess up your world-domination plans.

    Foliage is what leaves make up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the trees you have to use for coverage. I'm in the southwest - we don't have a lot of trees, or greenery for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the tip about the knee placement; it makes a big difference. Also, it's FOAL-e-ige vs. FOIL-ige.

    ReplyDelete